Skills: Remedial and Civil
Key Purpose: Upgrade of Balaclava substation to cope with future demand.
Time Frame: 22 weeks
Balaclava substation was upgraded to add capacity to the electricity distribution network in Melbourne’s southern suburbs due to increased demand. The main constraints of the project were working on a site with live 66kV and 22kV overhead power lines whilst complying with a myriad OHS standards as well as environmental and technical regulations.
The project involved:
• Dewatering of site & temporary drainage
• Excavation and pouring of slabs, concrete and yard lighting footings
• Trenching and laying of electrical conduits
• Installation of drainage pits and laying of drainage pipes
• Construction of transformer bund walls and slabs for existing and new transformers
• Erection of precast panels
• Installation of submersible pump and settlement tank to monitor underground water
• Reinstatement of footpath
Sea Life/Melbourne Aquarium
Key purpose: Repair by honey combing/concrete cancer from salt water coming in contact with the concrete super structure.
Time frame: On going
Goulburn Valley Water Region
Key purpose: Raise the height of existing Weir and install new pipe work to complement existing mains.
Time frame: 22 weeks
Port of Melbourne Corporation
Key purpose: To add longevity to the aging assets of the Port of Melbourne Corporation with the Appleton Dock fender beam.
Time frame: 16 weeks